Why Become a Queensland Owner Builder?
Deciding to become a Queensland owner builder will require some research and careful consideration. Here at The Shed House we want to make your process and decision as easy as possible. To start there are many benefits in choosing to become a Queensland owner builder:
- Financial Savings – Don’t pay the builders margin
- Control – Choose your trades
- Customise – Designs
- Personalise – Get creative
The Keys to Success
1. Get Qualified – complete the Queensland owner builder course
2. Education – Educate yourself on the owner builder process
3. Insurance – Insurance ensure all your insurances are up to date and cover trade workers.
4. Plan – All building projects need to be well planned
5. Budget – Ensure you have a realistic budget with a contingency
6. Listen – Be sure to take advice from the experts
7. Schedule – Let all trades know your proposed timeframes well in advance and update them often to therefore avoid delays in your schedule.
8. Management – Be strong with your trades if you are not happy about something speak up and discuss it.
9. Communication – Most importantly be an open clear communicator between all parties.. Most issues arise from lack of communication and can cause unnecessary delays.
Owner Builder Responsibilities
- Site Supervision
- Quality Control
- Work place Health and Safety
The Shed House has a streamlined process to assist owner builders through this process.
Contact is to find out more. Or read more here about becoming an owner builder.
Step 1 - Choosing Professional Consultants
- Soil tester
- Waste Management Consultant
Step 2 - Choosing Your Building Materials
- Wall lining
- Paint colours
- Shower Screen
- Wet area tiling
Step 2 - Building Materials Continued
- Electrical fixtures and fittings
- Plumbing fixtures and fittings
- Floor Coverings
- Window furnishings
- Cabinetry and Bench tops
Step 3 - Choose Your Trade Professionals
- Site works expert
- Frame installer
- Kitchen installer
- Floor installer
We offer a personalised selections consultation, so you can
personalise your home.
The QBCC study guide is a great Owner Builder recourse it provides clear step by step information on the building process along with providing checklists to above all, ensure all compliance points are met.