In this article, we will give you 5 tips for choosing the best cladding for your Sunshine Coast granny flat, from a builder’s perspective.
Thinking of building a Sunshine Coast granny flat? Enquire with the building experts.
1. Decide on your budget
One of the most important decisions you will make when building or renovating your Sunshine Coast granny flat is choosing the right cladding. Not only does cladding provide protection from the elements, but it also adds to the overall aesthetic of your home.
There are many different types of cladding available on the market, so it’s important to do your research to find the best option for your needs. Of course, budget will play an important role in this, knowing your total budget before you commit to the build process will save you plenty of headaches in the long run.
2. Pick a style
The second tip for choosing the best cladding for your Sunshine Coast granny flat is to pick a style. There are a wide variety of cladding styles to choose from, so it’s important to think about the overall look and feel you want for your home. Some popular styles include natural timber, composite products such as Weathertex, FC products such as James Hardie and steel.
Think about the colour palette and texture you want for your home and find a cladding style that can match. Also, consider the local climate and environment when deciding – for example, weatherboard cladding is more suitable for coastal areas, while steel cladding might be more suitable for areas with extreme temperatures. Once you have decided on your style, the next step is to compare the different brands and materials available to you.
3. What are the different types of cladding?
Once you have narrowed down the overall style of cladding you want to use for your Sunshine Coast granny flat, the next step is to compare the different materials and brands available to you. Different types of cladding can offer different advantages and come in various price ranges.
Some popular types of cladding include:
- Natural timber – timber cladding is one of the most popular materials for cladding due to its classic look, long-lasting durability and range of available finishes.
- Weathertex options – these materials are long-lasting, durable and provide a classic charm to your home.
- Colorbond steel – steel cladding is popular for its durability and low-maintenance finish, as well as its ability to reflect the sun while still providing insulation to your home.
- Fibre cement – this type of cladding is popular for its low-maintenance, fire-resistant finish and thermal insulation properties.
4. What factors should you consider when choosing cladding for your granny flat?
When it comes to cladding for your Sunshine Coast granny flat, there are several factors you should consider. These include:
1. Price – Finding a cost-effective cladding solution should always be a priority. Different materials and finishes may range from being very inexpensive to costly, so be sure to compare pricing.
2. Installation Process – Different cladding materials will require different installation processes. You’ll want to choose one that you can have installed without any issues and without having to pay for expensive contractors.
3. Durability – You want to make sure that the materials you choose are able to withstand any kind of weather conditions you might experience. It’s also best to choose materials that won’t require a lot of maintenance.
4. Finishes – Cladding materials come in various finishes that can provide a unique look and charm to your granny flat. Find one that fits the look you’re going for, while still being durable and cost-effective.
By considering these factors and doing your research, you can make sure that you find the best cladding material for your Sunshine Coast granny flat.
5. What are some popular cladding options for granny flats on the Sunshine Coast?
When it comes to cladding for granny flats on the Sunshine Coast, there are several popular options that you can choose from.
One popular option is steel cladding. This low-maintenance cladding is easy to install, and its sleek lines allow it to blend seamlessly with any exterior look. Steel cladding is also durable and weatherproof, making it an ideal choice for climates with intense cold and heat.
Timber & Weathertex cladding is also a popular choice. This type of cladding is made out of either recycled or sustainably-sourced timber. It’s cost-effective and adds a naturally rustic charm to your granny flat. It’s also a low-maintenance option, as all it needs is a light wash every few months.
Fibre cement cladding is a highly durable, long-term cladding option for your granny flat. It is resistant to both rot and pests and are available in a range of styles and textures. Fibre cement cladding is also fireproof and mould-resistant, making it the perfect choice for the hot and humid climate of the Sunshine Coast.
If still in doubt, touch base with our sales and design team here at The Shed House to discuss your needs.